Normal working procedures make your work sooner, simpler, and extra scalable. That is significantly true within the case of search engine marketing, the place a number of the duties are easy and repeatable.
Issues like including meta tags, sustaining a correct URL construction, including inner hyperlinks, and optimizing your photos are all straightforward to do… but in addition straightforward to overlook.
Recording search engine marketing duties in SOP paperwork means they are going to by no means be forgotten—and, as soon as documented, you’ll be able to simply delegate these easy duties to others in your group.
If you wish to develop your natural site visitors whereas working much less, you need search engine marketing SOPs.
Let’s dive into it.
A normal working process (SOP) is a doc that outlines how a job is completed step-by-step. It typically consists of screenshots to visually present what you’re explaining, however the very best SOPs embrace movies as nicely.
I sometimes make my SOPs in a Google Doc with screenshots. Then I exploit Loom to document my display and create video explanations.
search engine marketing SOPs permit you to:
- Always remember necessary search engine marketing steps when publishing content material.
- Rent an inexpensive assistant to have easy duties taken off your plate.
- Scale your corporation in ways in which aren’t doable with out standardization.
McDonald’s was one of many first companies to grasp standardization. And its burger line was far more complicated than merely making a doc. You, too, can harness the ability of a standardized course of to extend output and effectivity.
There are a number of processes in enterprise that may profit from SOPs. Nonetheless, the 5 most important search engine marketing duties that ought to have SOPs embrace:
- Content material creation and on-page search engine marketing.
- Inside linking procedures.
- Picture optimization.
- E-mail outreach for hyperlink constructing.
- Monitoring your rankings and making updates.
Beneath, I break down each and provide you with instance templates you’ll be able to copy and mould to suit your enterprise.
1. Content material creation and on-page search engine marketing
Content material is the spine of any good search engine marketing technique. Nonetheless, creating nice content material takes effort and time. If you wish to minimize down on how lengthy it takes, an SOP will do that.
At Ahrefs, our SOP for content material consists of these eight steps:
- Create a house for the publish within the shared drive
- Fill in/replace the Notion card
- Assign the header illustration
- Write the content material define
- Write the draft
- Edit the draft
- Assign customized photos and screenshot annotations
- Put together for enhancing + add
After all, these eight steps are particular to our techniques and kinds. We use Google Drive and Notion to maintain observe of all the things, have a header illustration for every article, and have a rigorous enhancing course of to make sure high-quality content material.
Right here’s what that doc appears like:
As you’ll be able to see, it’s a well-documented and easy-to-follow course of with examples and hyperlinks.
Inside this doc, we additionally hyperlink to our writing pointers SOP with much more detailed data on our precise writing course of.
This consists of our model and writing pointers with precise examples…
… in addition to screenshots to indicate, not simply inform.
And lastly, we have now SOPs in place to cowl on-page search engine marketing, which incorporates how one can correctly identify photos, add picture alt textual content, and set the metadata for every web page.
By creating these easy paperwork, you can also make content material creation a lot simpler and faster.
2. Inside linking procedures
Inside linking is essential for rating extremely on Google. Each single web page in your website, apart from maybe touchdown pages, ought to have inner hyperlinks. That is very true for weblog content material.
Your SOP can look one thing like this:
- It is best to purpose to incorporate a related inner hyperlink anytime it might probably profit the reader.
- Inside hyperlink anchor textual content needs to be related to the content material you’re writing about and the content material you’re linking to. For instance, DO hyperlink to “RV equipment” from “RV water pump consumers information.” DO NOT hyperlink to “van life builds” from “how one can hold your RV cool in the summertime.” Preserve it associated.
- Use Ahrefs’ Inside Hyperlink Alternatives instrument in Web site Audit to do the work. Alternatively, you could find inner hyperlinks by performing a Google seek for
website:[yoursitehere.com] “associated key phrase”to see all of the content material that accommodates that associated key phrase or phrase.
3. Picture optimization
Optimizing your photos for Google (and for customers) is commonly missed. Nonetheless, it’s straightforward to do and in addition necessary if you wish to attain that coveted first web page.
There are three steps to making sure good picture optimization:
- Having a correct title that describes the picture (with out key phrase stuffing)
- Including alt textual content that describes the picture in a bit extra element for individuals who can’t obtain and consider the picture
- Utilizing the right file format and lowering the general information dimension of the picture for sooner load speeds
Comply with our information to picture search engine marketing for extra data.
4. E-mail outreach for hyperlink constructing
Hyperlink constructing is vital to a great search engine marketing technique—hyperlinks are one of the necessary Google rating elements.
Whereas constructing backlinks isn’t precisely straightforward, it does contain a number of repeatable steps. This makes it an ideal SOP job. The truth is, you’ll in all probability need a number of SOPs—one for every hyperlink constructing technique, together with:
Every of those procedures is completely different. So both flip your present course of right into a doc or observe one of many linked guides above and create a doc for it.
5. Monitoring your rankings and making updates
Lastly, we have now one thing virtually all SEOs love: watching your rankings go up (hopefully).
Whereas it’s straightforward sufficient to spontaneously examine your Ahrefs account or Google Search Console account to see whether or not or not your rankings are shifting out of your efforts, there’s a greater method.
It nonetheless entails checking your Ahrefs account. However as an alternative of doing it with random pleasure like a child in a sweet retailer, you employ a methodical method that tracks your adjustments and their results. In any case, a number of search engine marketing is trial and error.
First, in the event you haven’t already, join Ahrefs’ Rank Tracker. Our stories will present you your rating adjustments over time with visualized information by way of charts and competitor stories.
You may observe particular key phrases and pages over time as nicely:
After you have your account, you can also make an SOP to examine these on a every day, weekly, or month-to-month foundation. Preserve observe of any adjustments you make to your pages, comparable to metadata, including or altering content material, enhancing your inner hyperlinks, and many others. Then doc how these adjustments affect your rankings over time.
By making a behavior of performing search engine marketing assessments like these and monitoring the results, you’ll be able to see what works and what doesn’t—then scale up what works and cease losing time on what doesn’t.
By documenting your search engine marketing processes within the type of SOPs, you’ll be able to extra simply scale up your corporation and rent others to carry out the simpler duties.
If you need your corporation (and your natural site visitors) to develop, having SOPs is without doubt one of the surest methods to do it. Be taught what works, doc the method, and scale it up. These 5 search engine marketing duties are just the start—you’ll be able to have an SOP for each repeatable job in your corporation.